Stingers Roll Tide!

March 6, 2023

Amy Trimble

Sophmore, Miranda Leasure, dribbles down her home court.

There is nothing that high school sports fans love more than a good underdog comeback story. The Marion center girl’s basketball has been nothing shy of that this season. They started a little rocky with a few losses, but the lady Stingers weren’t taking disappointment for an answer any longer. They focused and put their skills to work, and it showed!

This postseason team has taken the media and the student body by storm and has left with our jaws on the floor game after game. 

The girls entered the District 6 Class 2A tournament seeded 10th, which for those that may not know, is last. They then went on to play Glendale High school and pulled out a win over the 7th-seeded team. In the quarterfinal round, they played Portage High School and won once again, with a score of 53-46. Lydia Miller led in scoring with 26 points. She made four 3-pointers and went 12-for-14 from the foul line. Kaelee Elkin also had  12 points and 10 rebounds. That game left their record 14-10 this season.

Head coach Amy Trimble said “Our seed doesn’t mean anything to us, and our record this season doesn’t reflect what we’ve accomplished and what we are capable of”, in an interview with a local news source.  The ladies stayed focused and prepared well for their game against United.

The student section at United was one of the best the Stingers put together all season. Students and staff members were beyond excited to support the girls as they made such great accomplishments as they attempted to reach the District 6-2A finals.

The game was close, but the girls took a  tough loss,  44-40, in the semi-final. That wasn’t the end for them though, they played Bishop McCort High School not long after. Both teams will be advancing to the PIAA tournament next week. Marion Center will face District 7 champions Shenango.

The ladies have made their way to the state bracket. This is the first time since 2011 that the girl’s team has made it this far. If you see any of these girls, wish them good luck!

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

The Stinger • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Stinger