The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

60° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

The Quick Switch From Three to Two Lunches

The+crowding+of+the+cafeteria%2C+but+this+isnt+even+half+of+it.+
Lexi Bias
The crowding of the cafeteria, but this isn’t even half of it.

Due to the previous class sizes, we have always had three different lunch periods. This ensured adequate seating for everyone and the lunch lines didn’t get too long. This year, everything changed. We have downgraded from three separate lunch periods to two. There are many benefits to this schedule change, but it also has its downsides.

Having three separate lunch periods gave everyone lots of room and choices to choose where to sit. Since then, people are now crowded into the lunch room. There is not a single empty table in the cafeteria, and almost every table is full. Also not to mention the small sizes of most of the tables, each day they’re a different size, and there are always way too many chairs around a single table. 

Two lunch periods also caused the issue of tremendously long lines. Before they did this, the lunch lines would only take about five minutes to go through. Now, by the time you get your lunch and sit down, you only get about 10 minutes to eat and conversate. When Olivia Dwire was asked her opinion on this topic, she stated “It’s extremely overcrowded, which causes the lunch lines to be way too long. Some kids don’t even get to eat lunch because of it.”

Making this switch has had its benefits though. Students don’t have to worry about the elementary school kids coming in for their lunch as they are trying to leave the cafeteria. This created so much crowding within the previous years, as students were eating, the children would run out of their lunch lines to talk to the high school students. 

Having two lunch periods has been stressful for some, but beneficial to others. It has changed the flow of the school, as well as the bell schedules.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.