The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

57° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

MC Track and Field Shines During Spring

MC Track and Field Coaches and Evan Risinger

It’s getting warmer, and the sun is coming out to play. That means it’s spring! With spring on our doorstep, Marion Center, along with a number of other schools offers track and field as a spring sport. Track and Field has many different challenging events that athletes can choose from, those events include—running, jumping, and throwing. 

The coaches and athletes are very excited to start this year’s journey. Coach Sitosky said in an interview, “As we begin this new season, I am confident that our team, comprising a mix of new and returning athletes, is well-prepared to take on the challenges ahead and showcase their talents on the track and in the field.” 

Another coach, Coach Fuqua said, “Our track team has been working hard in the off-season to be the best they can be, and I am excited for our athletes to realize the impact their work ethic and commitment have on their performances.”

Junior, Mason Desmond, a thrower in MC track and field says, “Throwing is super fun and I think a lot of people should join.”. 

When 7th grader Connor Schroyer was asked about his experience with track and field said, “When I joined track, I thought it was an in-and-out situation, but when I found I was with the throwers, I completely loved it!” Students who join Track and FIeld tend to have similar experiences, once they find their place, they love it.

If you are interested in joining MC Track and Field runners, here are the different runs you can join:

• Runs (800 m run 1600 m run 3200 m run
  • Long distance (3000m, 10,000m, 5000m Steeplechase)
  • Hurdles (100, 300 mete)
  • Relays– 3200, 16000 meters 

If you are interested in joining MC Track and Field jumpers, here are the different jumps you can join:

• Long Jump- an athletic competition where participants make the greatest single-leg jumps possible along the ground.
  • High Jump- an athletic competition where participants leap over a raised bar until they can only do so without it moving.
  • Triple Jump– an athletic competition where participants must hop, step, and jump from a running start to jump as far as they can.
  • Pole Vault- an athletic competition where participants try to clear a high bar by throwing a long, flexible pole into their hands to provide extra spring.

If you are interested in joining MC Track and Field throwers, here ar

e the different throws you can join:

• Discus- You are given a thick-centered, weighty disk that an athlete throws to get it the farthest than its competitors. 
  • Shot Put- Shot put is almost the same thing as Discus but you throw a big heavy round ball. That you hold it up to your neck and throw it as far as you possibly can. 
  • Javelin- the athlete will be given a metal bar called a Javelin, like a discus and Shot put you the big heavy bar and you hurl it into the air to get it the farthest away as you can.

There are so many different possibilities for everyone! It’s a sport anyone can join and find their strengths. Track and Field creates long-lasting friendships as well as keeps you in shape. 

Works Cited:

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/athletics/events.htm 

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.