The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

88° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

The Tuffest Road To and From Nationals

Submitted by Marissa Lydic

Marissa Lydic, an accomplished horseback barrel racer and a sophomore at Marion Center Area High School qualified to compete in Las Vegas, Nevada for the 2023 Vegas Tuffest Jr. World Championship. The Vegas Tuffest Jr. World Championship is a national competition for barrel racing, breakaway roping, tie-down roping, and goat tying. Vegas Tuffest is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, and allows qualified contestants from the United States and Canada to compete and show their skills. Marissa traveled with her horse, Miss Jones to Las Vegas from December 6th to December 13th to compete as one of over 900 qualifiers across the United States and Canada. This competition had riders vying for over 1 million dollars in prizes and payout, as well as the Vegas Tuffest Jr. World Championship title.

Marissa has been riding horses for about five years and has become quite successful in her endeavors. Marissa has had several horses and has now been working and competing with Miss Jones for about 3 years. Miss Jones is a 9-year-old quarter horse with whom Marissa has a close connection. Marissa barrel rides her horses and competes in barrel racing competitions all over the state and now the country.

Barrel racing is a fast-paced rodeo event in which, “The barrels are placed in a triangle shape with the base closest to the alleyway (where the horses and riders enter). Barrel racers enter the arena at a full run, speeding towards the first barrel, choosing to go either right or left. After making a tight and complete circle around the first barrel, the rider must then race onto the second and third barrels to complete the cloverleaf pattern. Finally, the crowd cheers as the rider and horse bolt towards the finish line in hopes of stopping the clock with the fastest time! It’s not as easy as it sounds. Many things factor into a great barrel run. Long hours are put into practice to fine-tune both the horse’s and the rider’s skills. The duo must be entirely in sync because one wrong move can cause a barrel to fall, resulting in an additional five seconds tacked on to their total time.” (Silver Spurs Rodeo)

Marissa is an animal lover who has 2 other horses, cows, sheep, cats, and dogs. Marissa left on December 6th, while Miss Jones left on November 30th. Miss Jones made multiple stops along the way to stretch her legs, and to have a drink and snack.  Marissa was one of only two contestants from Pennsylvania to qualify to go to Las Vegas, she was one of 110 contestants in the girls’ age bracket 19 and under. “I have always dreamed of being able to run in Vegas. I just never thought the opportunity would come so quickly. I am so grateful for everything. I’m kind of nervous but also excited!” Marissa said before she had left.

Marissa did not place, although it was a complete honor to go to nationals. Marissa said when she came back, “It was very chaotic, but it overall was a very fun experience. It was very memorable and I’m very thankful I went.” She came back on December 12th, and when she came back to school the very next day, friends flooded her with congratulations. Even though she didn’t place, she got the privilege that not everyone gets; to go to nationals.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.