The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

58° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Do we have enough time to eat lunch?

Southern Living
kcline
Southern Living

Thirty minutes to eat lunch is not enough, especially now because of the combined lunches. Students spend most of their lunch period waiting in one of the lines, sometimes there isn’t even enough of the food item you wanted. In this article, I will be discussing why longer lunches would be beneficial to students.

Longer lunch periods allow students to have more time to eat their food. With rushed lunches, students often resort to quick and unhealthy food options or just no food. When asked her opinion on the situation, Mckenna Wood told the newspaper crew, “I think lunches should be longer because by the time half of the students get their lunch, they have around five minutes to eat. We should not have to shovel food down our throats just to be able to eat something during the day.”  By giving students more time, schools can provide students with the opportunity to sit down and enjoy their meals.

Short lunch periods can leave students feeling rushed and drained. With a longer lunch break, students have time to relax, recharge, and engage in activities that can help them recoup from the day they have had so far. It also allows them to have a mental break, which can boost their mood and overall well-being. This can lead to improved focus and productivity in the rest of their classes. This also shows that the schools value their students’ happiness and mental health.

Lunch also gives students the chance to socialize with their friends that they don’t get to see throughout the day. Brenden Harper shared his thoughts with the newspaper crew, stating “ The lunch lines take fifteen minutes or more, only giving students about fifteen minutes to eat, and barely any time to socialize with their friends. Longer lunch periods give students more time to connect, communicate, and develop important social skills.

Extending lunch breaks helps students develop skills such as time management and responsibility. Students can learn to use it wisely; finish their meals, catch up on assignments, and get prepared for their afternoon classes. These skills are important for their future success.

Longer lunch periods have numerous benefits for students in schools including improved nutrition, enhanced focus, social interaction, and the development of important life skills. By recognizing the schools’ need for this change, schools can create a more supportive environment for their students’ well-being academic growth, and excellence. It’s time for schools to prioritize longer lunch periods and invest in the development of their students.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.