The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

79° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Books for Grades Levels

Southern Living
Southern Living

Reading is all around us believe it or not. We read in school like by doing homework or having to read a book for a class. having to read books for classes but there are some really good books out there you just have to find the right one to snuggle up and read.

7th Grade: 

Wonder – R. J. Palacio

A ten-year-old boy has a medical condition where his face is disfigured. It’s Auggie’s first year in a public school and everything starts great, he loves his new school. He makes a good friend named Jack but soon he’ll realize that everything he thought was going his way will be turned upside down in a flash. 

Holes – Louis Sachar

Stanley Yelnats and his family think he is cursed with bad luck for eternity. He goes to Camp Green Lake for a crime that he did not commit. The warden wants him and the other delinquents to dig holes as punishment 5 feet wide and five feet deep. The juveniles were starting to question why they had to have to dig holes and what the purpose was. He makes a good friend named, Zero and he teaches him how to read if he could dig part of his hole for him. Soon Zero runs away and Stanley goes on an adventure to find him. 

Tuck Everlasting – Natalie Babbitt

A young girl, Winnie Foster meets Jessy Tuck while on a walk into the woods by a spring. This was no ordinary spring and Jessy was no ordinary guy, he and his family had a secret, they drank out of that spring and it stopped from from aging and dying. The Tuck family kidnaps her to prevent her from telling anyone their secret. Scared of their secret getting out, the Tuck family moved away but before they left Jessy snuck out. Before he left he gave Winnie some of the water and told her to drink the water so they could find each other in the future so they could be together forever. 

8th Grade

The Outsiders – S.E. Hinton

Ponyboy lost his parents at a young age. He is now part of a gang called the Greasers, the Greasers are well-known for fighting and causing a ruckus in the neighborhood.  However, on the other side of town were the Socials, or Socs they were the no-good rotten rich kids that always got what they wanted. After a big brawl and some of the Greasers dying Ponyboy and his best friend are forced to go into hiding. The book follows them on their jaw-dropping adventure.  

The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins

Distinct 12 is known for coal mining and being a very run-down distinct. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Merlark are picked for the 75th-annual Hunger Games and have to fight for their lives with 22 other tributes for the other districts. To stay alive in the arena they put on a fake love story to save their lives. Follow the tributes to find out if Katiness and Petta’s love story will get them out alive or not. 

Twilight – Stephenie Meyer

Bella Swan is just a normal 17-year-old girl going to live with her dad in Forks, Arizona. She starts a new school and a whole new life. Bella falls in love with the vampire, Edward Cullen, a 103-year-old frozen in time as a 17-year-old boy. Twilight is a series of books that embarks on Bella and Edward’s love story.

9th Grade

Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare

It’s a tragic love story between Romeo and Juliet but their two families (Montagues and Capulets) are sworn enemies so they are made to hate each other. That did not stop them from being in love. Due to their family conflicts, they kill themselves so they can be together in the afterlife. 

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee 

Scout and Jem Finch lost their mother due to a heart attack at a young age. This book goes on to tell the story of how Atticus defends a black man who is accused of rape. Scout and Jem are mocked by their family and friends for what their father is doing. 

The Vow – Kim and Krickitt Carpenter

From the first time they ever spoke over the phone Kim Carpenter fell in love with Krickitt. That happened once a week to order sports jackets so Kim’s baseball team tuned into talking every day about the most random things for hours on end. The story goes on and soon Kickett gets into a bad car accident and loses all of her memories from long ago. 

10th Grade 

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes – Suzanne Collins

This is an action-packed novel and it will take you on an adventure like no other. It starts out with the announcement of the 10th Hunger Games where a boy and a girl are chosen from every distinct to fight to their death in an arena till one wins. Each of the members gets a tribute to mentor. Coriolanus Snow is assigned the District 12 female tribute, Lucy Gray Baird. She automatically gets the audience’s attention and they fall in love with her singing but they are not the only ones who fall in love with her. Her mentor, Coriolanus falls head over heels for her and he breaks a few rules to make sure she comes out alive of the arena. 

The Fault in Our Stars – John Green

This story is narrated on the life of a 16-year-old girl who has cancer, Hazel. She goes to a support group where she meets Gus, a 16-year-old battling an aggressive bone cancer. They fall in love with an author, Peter Van Houten who turns out to be the bad guy, this leads them to Amsterdam to meet the author.

11th Grade

Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury

In a future city where books are not allowed by the citizens, but among the citizens there’s a fireman, Guy Montag, who wrestles with his job to the state and his personal beliefs, he’s faced with the hard decision between loyalty to the government and his beliefs.

In Cold Blood – Truman Capote

In Cold Blood, tells the true story of the 1959 murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb, Kansas, using dialogue and a novel-like style, showcasing the power of nonfiction.

Hamlet – William Shakespeare

The King of Denmark’s ghost instructs Hamlet to avenge his murder by killing his uncle, who feigns madness and contemplates life and death, while his uncle plans to kill Hamlet.

12th Grade

The Color Purple Alice Walker

The extraordinary novel follows the life of the African American woman, Celie, who has been through rape, abuse, and separation from her family in rural Georgia, where she found herself falling in love with another woman.

Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice is a novel that follows the love story between Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, who must overcome their own pride and prejudice to fall in love and marry.

The Great Gatsby –  Scott Fitzgerald

Set in the Jazz Age around New York City and the fictional Long Island towns of West Egg and East Egg, The Great Gatsby tells the story of Jay Gatsby, a self-made man who dreams of turning back time to regain his first love, Daisy Buchanan.

Works Cited

CliffsNotes Study Guides | Book Summaries, Test Preparation & Homework Help | Written by Teachers, https://www.cliffsnotes.com/. Accessed 13 March 2024.

SparkNotes: Today’s Most Popular Study Guides, https://www.sparknotes.com/. Accessed 13 March 2024.

Soundview Executive Book Summaries | 15-minute summaries and more, https://www.summary.com/. Accessed 13 March 2024.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.