The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

82° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Book Review: Keeper of the Lost Cities (Graphic Novel Edition)

Simon & Schuster

In the past, I wrote an article about one of my all-time favorite books, Keeper of the Lost Cities. You can read the book review here.

Just a couple of months ago, the graphic novel version came out. It’s adapted by Celina Frenn and illustrated by Gabriella Chianello. 

Originally, I was a little scared to read it. What if they completely ruined it? I was curious though, so I decided to go ahead and read it anyway. 

The illustrator’s vision of the characters was cool. Most of them are drawn very closely to the original pictures and descriptions. Some little things the illustrator added to the characters added to the character’s personalities. For example, Dex was given really big eyes, which I think gives a really good insight into his personality. 

I thought the settings were drawn beautifully. I had always tried to imagine what the different places would look like, and now, thanks to the graphic novel, there’s illustrations. I thought that Havenfield, Atlantis, and Everglen were amazing. The pictures of the different settings elevated the story. I thought that Havenfield was portrayed well. It was absolutely beautiful. 

One thing I was very happy about was that the graphic novel stayed very true to the original story. Most of the events were the same. A lot of direct quotes from the original novel were put into the graphic novel version. 

Overall, I think that the graphic novel version gives Keeper of the Lost Cities justice. It’s a great book for people who have already read Keeper of the Lost Cities, as well as people who don’t enjoy long books but are interested in reading a great fantasy novel.

It was cool to get to see one of my favorite books come alive as a graphic novel. I would definitely recommend it.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.