The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

59° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

April Fools’!!

April+Fools%21%21

April Fools’ Day has been celebrated for several years with so many cultures. People believe that April Fools’ Day started because of the adoption of the new calendar in 1582. Pope Gregory XIII ordered the use of a new calendar, known as the Gregorian calendar, which celebrated New Year’s Day on January 1. According to the legend, many people refused to recognize the new calendar or didn’t know about it. Soon enough, people began to make fun of “fools” by sending them out to look for things that were nonexistent. Three greatest April Fools Day hoaxes were:

• Swiss Spaghetti Trees — In 1957, the British Broadcasting Company (BBC) news program, Panorama announced that Swiss farmers were harvesting a record spaghetti crop thanks to the elimination of the spaghetti weevil. The news footage showed Swiss peasants pulling spaghetti from trees. Thousands of viewers were fooled. The BBC reported receiving many calls inquiring how to grow spaghetti trees.
  • “Taco” Liberty Bell — “In 1996, Taco Bell announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell to help ease the national deficit. When the company claimed it would be renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell, thousands of citizens were fooled and called to complain. The company revealed it was a practical joke a few hours later, but not before reporters asked White House press secretary Mike McCurry about the sale. Creating a joke of his own, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had been sold and would be known as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.”
  • “Left-Handed” Whopper — In 1998, Burger King ran an advertisement in USA Today announcing its new “Left-Handed Whopper,” which was specifically designed for left-handed Americans by rotating all condiments exactly 180 degrees. Burger King revealed the hoax the next day but claimed that thousands of customers had requested the new sandwich at their restaurants.”

April Fools Day takes place April 1st every year. So, have fun and celebrate!

Works Cited:

April Fools’ Day 2023: Try These Hilarious Jokes and Prank Ideas to Amaze Your Loved Ones. (2023, March 31). The Times of India. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/viral-news/april-fools-day-2023-april-fools-jokes-april-fools-prank-try-these-hilarious-jokes-and-prank-ideas-to-amaze-your-loved-ones/articleshow/99133901.cms?from=mdr

How Did April Fools’ Day Begin? | Wonderopolis. (n.d.). Www.wonderopolis.org. https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-did-april-fools-day-begin/

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.