The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

80° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Book Review: The Hunger Games

I’d So Rather Be Reading

“May the odds be ever in your favor,” that’s what they say before the games begin. Katniss has learned that “the odds are never in [her] favor.”

I am currently re-reading The Hunger Games. I actually read it for the first time earlier this year and really enjoyed it. The Hunger Games is a well-written work of dystopian fiction with characters that stick with you long after you close the book.

This exciting novel, The Hunger Games follows the story of a girl, Katniss Everdeen. She lives in District 12, where every year, twenty-four teens, two teens from every district, a boy and a girl, are chosen in the Reaping as tributes for the Hunger Games, where they will be thrown in an arena and forced to battle to the death until there is just one tribute left who will be announced victor of the Hunger Games. The whole thing is displayed on TV for the entertainment of the Capital. 

When Katniss’s sister, Primrose is chosen for the Hunger Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place as tribute. The famous saying “I volunteer as tribute” came to be when Katniss says it to take Prim’s place. When Katniss gets on the Tribute Train to the Capital in preparation for the Hunger Games, she knows that she will probably never come back. Out of twenty-four kids, the odds of Katniss coming out as victor is low. Very low.

Join Katniss as she ventures into the Capital, for the adventure of a lifetime. She will learn to fight, to hate, to love, to care, and to never give up. Suzanne Collins’, The Hunger Games is packed with action, adventure, truth, lies, betrayals, and love. It’s full of excitement and action that never stops. Now, “Let the games begin!” The Hunger Games is a book you won’t want to put this book down!

You won’t want to miss the next two books in this exciting series, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay!

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.