The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

58° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Safety Tips

Concrete Construction
Concrete Construction

I’m sure by now you have probably heard about the attempted luring. If you haven’t, here’s what you need to know.  According to the Pennsylvania State Police, the attempted luring happened around 4:00 in the afternoon on December 5th, there was no contact between the victim and the suspect. The suspect was described to the police as a black man in his 30s with short hair, a dark blue hoodie, and a bandana or face covering. He was driving a black Toyota Sedan, possibly a Prius, with possible damage to the passenger side, last seen heading to Route 119. Thankfully, the victim was unharmed and returned home safe to alert his parents. If you have information please call the state police at 724-357-1960 or contact Safe 2 Say. So in light of this event and hopes to prevent attempted kidnappings, here are some things to do to help keep yourself safe. 

• Don’t have anything completely blocking your hearing. If you are wearing earbuds, make sure you have one out and the volume is low. 
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Know where you are, and have a rough idea of where others are.
  • Try not to walk alone. Walk with friends or siblings.  If you have to walk alone, stay focused on where you are headed, and do not go into unfamiliar places.
  • Tell someone where you’re going. Always tell someone where you’re going, what time you are leaving, and when you’ll be back, and notify them if there is a change in plans.
  • Don’t post or share personal information online. You never know who is looking at what you post or share.
  • Trust your instinct. If you think something is wrong, it probably is.
  • Watch or listen to the local news. If there are unusual reports on stuff, take a warning and plan accordingly.

If you have additional worries, talk to a friend, a trusted adult, or a school guidance counselor. 

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.