The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

57° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Mock Trial team at MC!

MC has a Mock Trial team!!!
Indiana County Courthouse
Indiana County Courthouse

Here in Marion Center, we have a mock trial team.

Mock trials provide students with opportunities with our justice system and more. We have this extracurricular because of student interest. It is amazing for students who want to become a part of our justice system, and especially great for students who are interested in doing this in the future. This extracurricular is more academic too, it gives your brain something to do that is fun and educational. Mock trial also helps with preparing you with items you would use in a real courtroom. It gets your brain ready for the future. In the extracurricular, you will go over prosecution and defense opening statements, direct examinations, cross-examination, and more. Students involved in the club are responsible for all info for a case and perspective.

There are 290 school student teams. Each year the winning team for the mock trial goes to represent Pennsylvania in a national competition. The members will get case materials and everything to work with. The main challenges during mock trials are Making sure you are ensuring all the steps in the trial, What you can and can not say, and respectful courtroom etiquette.  The plans are to continue next year and depending on how many people like it, maybe even have two teams. Those involved have the mock trial comps, arguing the opposite of the thing (prosecution), It is just like a sport at the local level, regions,  states, and nationals. A team is made up of seven people. You work with a true lawyer and an attorney advisor, Officer Snyder offered to help. They will be presenting in front of a real judge and jury (pros from a legal workforce). Mock trials help provide knowledge of legal practices. After some good years, a mock trial is back at Marion Center showing off their skills.

The main case this year is a homicide, of a businessman found dead in his office, and now his businessman rival, Addison Booker, is being charged with murder and conspiracy. The Marion Center mock trial team competed on February 1st, 2024 at Westmoreland. The defense competed on Tuesday, February 1st at Westmorland County. For the persecution students representing our school’s attorneys consisted of Lillian Schultz, Carson Carnahan, and Carley Shoop. Our school’s witnesses consist of  Sara Willard, Emma Wilson, and Anna Wilson. For the defense on February 13th, our attorneys are Katie Shafer, Collin Anderson, and  Carley Shoop.  Our witnesses are Miranda Leasure, Jeremy Smulik, and Cheyenne Silvis. Along with Grayson Silvis and Sara Willard as alternates.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.