The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

68° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

LoveIsRespect
LoveIsRespect

On November 29th, 2023, Indiana Alice Paul House (APH) representatives visited the ATHENA club members. The Marion Center ATHENA club partnered with APH to spread awareness of Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month in February.

APH logo

Alice Paul House is a non-profit organization. APH offers services to all and any victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, juvenile offenders, and other serious crimes. The mission of Alice Paul House is to educate, advocate, and empower all victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, other crimes, and juvenile offenders. They provide services to anyone and all services are completely confidential and free to the victim. They offer shelter to victims and their children ages 18 and under. Their programs focus on preventing and awareness of abuse, whether that be mental, physical, or sexual.

This year’s theme is “Love Like That,” ATHENA club members were asked to design a t-shirt with this year’s theme and the characteristics of a healthy relationship. The winners were announced at the end of the day on January 29th. In first place is sophomore Sabrina Larson, who won $100, her design featured on the Alice Paul House’s social media page, and her design on the t-shirt. In second place was junior, Brooke Heigley who won a $50 Amazon gift card, and her design was featured on Alice Paul’s house social media. In 3rd place was junior Mareena James, who won the prize of $25 on an Amazon gift card. ATHENA club members and staff members will get to wear the orange t-shirt distributed by the Alice Paul house on February 6th. All students who do not have a T-shirt are encouraged to wear orange in support of classmates who may be in a violent relationship.

If you or somebody you know is struggling in an abusive or toxic relationship, click here or call APH’s 24-hour hotline at 724-349-4444.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.