The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

59° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

The Musical was Totally Wicked!

Ken Diem

Lights, curtains, action! The lights dim, and the overture plays. Prince Ben (played by Josh McIsaac) walks out singing the prelude of “Better Together” the curtains roll away, and there stands the four evils, Mal (played by Makenzee Shotts), Evie (played by Mylene Buffone), Jay (played by Clark McKee, and Carlos (played by Sara Willard). They walk up to the front of the stage and start singing “Rotten to the Core”. Soon, the ensemble joins them on stage as they open this year’s show, Disney’s Descendants. 

The show’s barely begun, and they’re already wowing the first ever soldout crowd at a Marion Center High School Musical.

This year’s musical was put together by Marion Center’s middle school and high school students, along with their amazing directors, Mrs. Chellise Stolarz, Ms. Kara Kutsch, and Ms. Caitlin Kalgren.

On opening night the show was off to a great start, but about halfway through, an accident happened on stage, leaving the cast without an Audrey. Olivia Short who was playing the Evil Queen Grimhilde stepped in and took over the role after she was taken to the hospital. The next day, the originally casted Audrey was back and ready to perform. She did an outstanding job, despite the fact she was on crutches.

Several seniors took part in the show this year’s, including Makenzee Shotts, who played the main role of Mal. She did an awesome job, and has proved herself to be an amazing actress and singer. Macey Sleppy, another one of our seniors, played Maleficent. She was outstanding. The audience was impressed with her singing in “Evil Like Me.” Lydia Miller, Mya Lipsie and Mackenzie Thomas were both part of the dance ensemble, and RJ Gutierrez was a part of the Auradon choir.

Lots of fan-favorite songs from Disney’s Descendants were featured in the musical, including “Rotten to the Core,” “Evil Like Me,” “Ways to be Wicked,” “Space Between,” “Did I Mention,” “If Only,” “Chillin’ like a Villain,” “Better Together,” and “Break This Down.” The performers and audience alike really enjoyed these songs.

There were opportunities for the performers to interact with the audience. During the overture, performers dressed as evils from the Isle of the Lost ran down from the back of the auditorium screaming and shouting. At the end of the show, during “Break this Down,” cast members ran out into the audience giving high fives, dancing, and singing.

Disney’s Descendants is a really high-energy show, and the performers did a great job getting the audience hyped up. By the end of the show, there were little kids dancing in the aisles!

This year’s musical had a huge turnout and was a great way to show the community what we’re capable of here at Marion Center High School. The show really was awesome to the core!

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.