The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

66° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Music in Our Schools Month

March is music in our schools month. For around 40 years, March has been designed by the “NAfME” or National Association for Music Education. The purpose of MIOSM or, Music in our schools’ month was to raise the importance of music for children and to remind people or adults that school is where children have access to music education.

NAfMe Music in our Schools Month logo

Where does music come from?

Music first rose in the Paleolithic period. It sure is impossible to confirm, music would have emerged before the time. Prehistoric cultures were thought to have a variety of uses of music between different societies. Music history has many important eras like the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and many more.

How did music get so Popular?

Music became so popular because of technical developments. After the industrial revolution, folk music began to disappear. Music audiences expanded because of technology. In 1930, Phonograph records replaced sheet music as the “chief” source of music.

Interesting Facts about Music

• The oldest known musical instrument is over 50,000 years old. The Neanderthal Flute, which are thigh bones from juvenile cave bears with circular holes that look like finger holes.
  • The song with the longest title has 29 words. It is Hoagy Carmichael’s 1943 “I’m a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin’ Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues.”
  • Singing in a group boosts your mood. It triggers the release of endorphins, Oxycontin, dopamine, and serotonin. Hormones are associated with feelings of pleasure, as well as trust and bonding. – Brain imaging shows singing increases the activity in the medial prefrontal cortex which is a brain structure that is associated with strong connections with the limbic system.

“Thank you for celebrating Music in Our Schools Month with us!”        – Tri-M Music Honors Society

Works Cited:

“10 Amazing Facts about Music and Musicians That You’ll Love | Trala.” Www.trala.com, www.trala.com/resources/fun-facts-about-music. Accessed 25 Mar. 2024.

“History of Music.” Wikipedia, 5 Feb. 2022, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_music#:~:text=Music%20first%20arose%20in%20the.

Karaoke, Songbird. “Music Facts to Blow Your Mind!” Songbird Karaoke, 28 June 2022, songbirdkaraoke.com/just-fun/music-facts/. Accessed 25 Mar. 2024.

The Editors of Encyclopedia Britannica. “Popular Music.” Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 Feb. 2019, www.britannica.com/art/popular-music.

“Was “Earliest Musical Instrument” Just a Chewed-up Bone?” Science, 31 Mar. 2015, www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/150331-neanderthals-music-oldest-instrument-bones-flutes-archaeology-science#:~:text=Once%20thought%20to%20be%20the.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.