The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

64° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Book Review: Romeo and Juliet

Brittanica
Brittanica

A classic, one of the most famous Shakespeare plays, Romeo and Juliet. A tragedy, filled with romance and heartache, and in my opinion, one of the best plays/books written. Written in Shakespeare’s early career, Romeo and Juliet was one of his most famous plays, along with Hamlet.

Sometime in the 14th century in Verona, Romeo Montague is struggling to move on from Rosaline so his cousin, Benvolio persuades him to go to a ball to get his mind off of Rosaline. At the ball Romeo meets a young lady, Juliet Capulet, who is the daughter of Lord and Lady Capulet, whom the Montagues have an unending feud with.

Unknowing of her bloodline, Romeo falls in love with her shortly after, Juliet falls in love with him leading to a secret marriage. The story is their epic love story which sadly turns into a tragedy when Romeo gets in some trouble and is banished leaving the lovers split up. Juliet’s parents arrange a marriage for her, which she does not want to partake in, so she fakes her death, using an elixer to make her seem dead, but she’s not truly dead. A message is sent on a messenger to Romeo, however the messenger gets delayed and does not reach Romeo, until his servant tells him she’s dead. Enraged, upset and heartbroken, Romeo makes his way back to Verona, where he finds her “lifeless” body laid in the Capulet family crpyt. Out of heartbrokeness, he kills himself to be in the afterlife with his wife, Juliet. Shortly after he kills himself, Juliet wakes up and finds his lifeless body next to her, she then kills herself too.

One of the key things about this play is love. The entire play is based on love. Romeo and Juliet is a perfect example of star crossed lovers, or lovers who are doomed to end. Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite romances. I would definitely recommend Romeo and Juliet to anyone, it takes a bit to understand it but, it’s worth it!

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.