The Student News Site of Marion Center Area High School

The Stinger

56° Marion Center, PA

The Stinger

The Stinger

Marion Center High School Football Team Secures District 6 Playoff Spot

The Marion Center High School football team has overcome challenges and secured their spot in the District 6 Class 1A playoffs. Needing a win in the final week of Heritage Conference play and a bit of outside help, the Marion Center Stingers emerged victorious with a 27-0 shutout against West Shamokin on Friday night. Senior Night. Bishop McCort’s loss to Philipsburg-Osceola in double overtime further propelled the Stingers into the playoffs. The team’s efforts and their success in extending their football season have brought immense pride to the Marion Center community.

Marion Center’s Senior Night was filled with excitement and a jubilant atmosphere as the Stingers recorded an impressive shutout victory over West Shamokin. Coach Adam Rising applauded his seniors for their contributions, stating that ending their final home game with a win added tremendous significance to their high school football journey. The team’s consistent improvement throughout the season was also acknowledged as a blessing.

With the win and the results from other games falling in their favor, Marion Center clinched the eighth and final playoff spot in District 6. This achievement is particularly meaningful to many of the players who have never experienced playoff football before. Junior Isaac Basa expressed how important this moment was for the team, highlighting their determination to make the most of this opportunity after narrowly missing out on playoffs in previous seasons.

A notable highlight of the game was the performance of freshman quarterback Trent Slovinsky, who entered the game in the second quarter after starter Camden Rising suffered an injury. Despite initial nerves, Slovinsky demonstrated maturity beyond his years, completing three passes for 41 yards and throwing a touchdown pass to senior Alex Stewart.

The Stingers’ defense played a crucial role in securing the victory, holding the injury-riddled West Shamokin team to just 109 yards and five first downs. Noah McCoy stood out with two interceptions, displaying his impact on the game’s momentum. The team’s ability to rally to the football and assert their physicality against a challenging opponent impressed Coach Rising, showcasing the team’s defensive prowess.

Marion Center’s District 6 playoff journey begins with a challenging matchup against top-seeded Northern Cambria. The Stingers have previously faced and battled tough against many of the teams they will encounter in the playoffs, falling just short of victory in several close contests. The team’s hunger for success and their never-give-up attitude will be their driving force as they aim to make a memorable playoff run.

Donate to The Stinger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Marion Center Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.